On a cold blustery day where I have been outside in the cold weather feeding calves in the morning, I like to come home and made a quick delicious soup like this soup!
I have always loved Broccoli Cheese Soup but it wasn’t until I was married that I had Broccoli Cheese NOODLE Soup. Since then I have been using a recipe I created for Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup. There are many times Clayton asks me to make something and there is no recipe so I have to try to recreate it.
Clayton always loves this soup. So much so he will almost always eat a second bowl even if he’s full already and I always make extra to keep in the fridge for dinner during the week. I have even frozen this and it has frozen well even with the noodles.
I like to serve this soup with Ham and Cheese Sliders. You could omit the noodles and still have a delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup but I really do think you should try the noodles!
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped broccoli (can use fresh broccoli)
- 6 ounces fine egg noodles (can break up angel hair pasta into 1 inch pieces)
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese (I have also used Colby or Colby Jack before)
- 6 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Cook both the broccoli and pasta just shy of the package directions so they are al dente. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in the water, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in cheddar and Velveeta cheese until melted.
- Stir in the broccoli and pasta; heat through. I usually let it cook together for about 10 minutes. If soup appears too thick add more chicken broth or milk.