Scalloped Potatoes use to frighten me because they seemed like a food I just wouldn’t be able to make right. But I now make them often and they are no hassle at all.
Use this no fail recipe that helped me conquer my fear to ensure you won’t be scared to make them! Oh and you bet they are creamy and delicious!
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 6 medium peeled potatoes, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart or 13x9-inch casserole dish with softened butter.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp. of the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Stir milk into mixture and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Layer half of the potatoes in greased casserole dish and pour ½ of the sauce over potatoes. Layer in remaining potatoes and cover with remaining sauce. Cut the last 1 Tbsp. butter into small pieces and place on top of potatoes.
- Cover potatoes with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover pan and bake 45 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving as the sauce thickens.