These are a summer classic in our house especially when we have Hungarian hot peppers ready in the garden. I have also made this with sweet baby peppers or other mild varieties of peppers too. Above for the photo, I actually used sweet baby bell peppers. These are a quick and easy appetizer for any occasion.
Just be sure to warn your guests if you use hot HOT peppers!
- ½ lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- ¾ tablespoon garlic salt
- 4 Tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ⅓ cup Italian-style dry bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 6-9 Hungarian hot peppers, cut in half, core and seed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place sausage in a skillet and cook over medium heat until evenly brown. Drain and crumble.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sausage, cream cheese, garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, bread crumbs and olive oil.
- Stuff the peppers with the sausage mixture. Place on a baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes, until the stuffing is lightly brown and bubbly.