This has always been a salad that I love and recently I saw that people have been adding cheese to Broccoli Salad. That sounded wonderful to me so I started adding cheese and it’s such a wonderful addition to this fresh, crisp salad. This is a staple in our house during the summer once our broccoli starts blooming.
I like to make this salad about an hour or two before serving so the dressing can add to the flavor, but be sure you eat this quickly as it won’t last long in your fridge.
- 9 cups broccoli florets, cut into small, bite-sized pieces (you'll need about 2 pounds of broccoli crowns)
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 4 oz sunflower seeds
- ¼ lb. bacon, cook, crumbled
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ lb. cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 cup mayo
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- Combine the broccoli, red onion, sunflower seeds, bacon, raisins and cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing - mayo, sugar and vinegar. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad mixture and stir until completely coated.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.