This is hands down my favorite soup to make and eat! I love Italian food and well this soup is perfect to make on its own or to serve as an addition to any Italian meal!
I personally love to make this with hot sausage but if I am making it for a crowd I will use mild Italian sausage.
I hope you love this soup as much as I do!
- 1 lb. loose Italian sausage (can use mild or hot sausage)
- 2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in ¼ inch slices (or 4 medium potatoes)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large bunches of kale, chopped, about 4 cups
- 8 cups chicken broth (I usually use water and chicken bouillon or you can use 2 boxes of chicken broth)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Cook the sausage until browned in a large saucepan or dutch oven at medium-high heat (your soup will cook in this pan so use a big pan). Break apart the sausage as it browns so the loose sausage is in small pieces.
- Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to sausage and cook until onions are translucent and softened.
- Reduce heat back to medium and add the potatoes to the pot. Slowly add the chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done and stir occasionally. About 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and soft.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting and add in your kale and cooked bacon and slowly pour the warm cream while stirring.
- Taste the soup for seasoning, at this point you may add more salt, pepper or red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Serve in bowls, top with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!