My sister-in-law Heather has been making this wonderful Strawberry Trifle for the past several years after discovering it is Taste of Home! This quick to make and easy dessert is refreshing for summer picnics and is also a delicious dessert to serve to dinner guests!
I served my trifles up as individual servings in stemless wine glasses because I learned that while I have a lot of dishes and bowls I do not have a nice trifle or clear glass dish. Guess I know what to add to my Christmas list!
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
- 1 pkg. (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 8 cups cubed angel food cake
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- First whip your heaving whipping cream for approximately 3 minutes with your electric mixer.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the milk, sour cream, pudding mix and orange peel with your electric mixer on low speed until thickened. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Place half of the angel food cake cubes in a 3-qt. glass bowl or trifle.
- Arrange a third of the strawberries around sides of bowl and over cake; top with half of the pudding mixture.
- Repeat layers once. Top with remaining strawberries.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.