This is a holiday or guest-hosting favorite recipe that can be made the night ahead, refrigerated and placed in the oven to bake in the morning. I even make this for lunch when we are on egg overload.
This dairy rich recipe with milk and cheese also features eggs, sausage and hearty bread. I love to make this with a great loaf of Italian, French, Sourdough or Homestyle bread, but a load of white bread will do!
- 1 lb. sausage
- 8 slices of white bread
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat, until browned. Drain well on paper towels.
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and place in greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the sausage and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, seasoned salt and pepper, and carefully pour the liquid over the bread, sausage and cheese. (If preparing this in advance, cover and place in fridge at this point).
- Bake casserole for 50 minutes to 1 hour until set and golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.