Growing up my Mom always used the Rhubarb that grew in our back yard for pies, cobblers, and various other desserts. I’m sure I ate some of the sour, bitter stalks while picking them but I always loved the foods she would make with the Rhubarb. My husband however does not appreciate Rhubarb or many other fruit desserts so I usually mix my rhubarb with strawberries so I can get someone else to eat the the dessert with me. This year I decided to try these Rhubarb Crumb Bars and was so happy with the result that I wanted to share it with you! I took them to our Aunts house and many of the guests enjoyed them with me!
Try this easy Rhubarb Crumb Bars if you are looking for an easy, delicious way to use your own Rhubarb patch!
- 3¼ cups flour, divided
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Mix 3 cups flour and brown sugar in a large bowl; cut in softened butter with a knife or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1½ cups of the crumb mixture for the top; pat the remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake crust until it is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl; mix in ¼ cup flour, sugar, half-and-half, and salt into eggs. Beat until smooth.
- Sprinkle the chopped rhubarb over the baked crust. Pour egg mixture over the rhubarb; top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs are set and lightly browned, 45 minutes.
- Cut into bars and serve warm or cold! They hold together well due to the egg.