Do you ever have leftover mashed potatoes? This is the perfect recipe to use those up! But great to make fresh mashed potatoes for too.
Clayton has always loved Pierogi casserole and I love that I don’t have to make real pierogis!
Author: Renée Norman-Kenny
Recipe type: Side Dishes
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- dash of salt and pepper
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with salted water to cover the potatoes over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are soft and tender. Remove from heat, drain, then combine with the milk and 6 Tablespoons of butter, mash and set aside. (If you have leftover mash potatoes substitute them and it'll save you a few steps!)
- Melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion and garlic in the butter until the onions are translucent and soft.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions and cool under running water.
- Place ½ of the mashed potatoes into the bottom of baking dish. Top this with ⅓ of the cheese, followed by a layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat this with the remaining potatoes, another ⅓ of the cheese and add the onion and garlic on top. Add another layer of noodles, and finally top all with the remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream and enjoy.