Let’s be honest Lasagna is a good hearty comfort food! We love a cheesy lasagna for lunch after a hard morning working, or for dinner after a long day in the barn or as a Sunday meal. Lasagna is enjoyed in our house any meal of the day, well maybe not breakfast!
This Lasagna is a classic recipe which never goes out of style! It is hearty, delicious and CHEESY! I also always make two lasagnas. If I am going to make one I might as well make a second and stick it in the freezer!
- 9 lasagna noodles (some pans may require 12)
- 1 lb. bulk Italian sausage or ground beef (or a combo of the two)
- 1 qt. jar spaghetti sauce (I use my own homemade canned sauce, you can use your favorite sauce)
- 1 pt. jar tomato juice or crushed tomatoes (can just use more spaghetti sauce)
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.
- In a skillet, brown sausage or ground beef over medium heat. Drain off excess fat.
- Combine with spaghetti sauce and tomato juice or crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until hot. Stir as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese, eggs, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese together, set aside.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish and spread 1 cup of sauce in bottom of pan. Lay three lasagna noodles in bottom of pan (four if using a wider pan), top with half of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle with ¾ cup of mozzarella cheese, a few scoops of spaghetti sauce and repeat they layers. Finish with lasagna noodles, spaghetti sauce and top with ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered and uncover for the last 15 minutes. Bake until bubbly and hot. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.