I will always remember the first grilled pizza I had. My cousins owned an Italian restaurant and we went to a festival they were serving food at. I was probably 10 to 12 years old and it was the first time I had heard of grilled pizza. The crust was perfectly crispy and chewy and the fresh toppings were obviously delicious. That summer, my Mom made grilled pizza often and it’s been something we’ve enjoyed as a treat ever since.
The great thing about this is you can use your favorite pizza dough just make sure it’s not too sticky! I like to use Martha Stewart’s Basic Grilled Pizza Dough recipe for my grilled pizza dough. And the topping choices are endless! Use your favorite combo for the perfect pizza. I photographed my husband’s pizza of the night so that is what I am using for my recipe. I also made Hawaiian, BBQ Chicken and a fresh tomato and fresh mozzarella pizza that night.
- Pizza dough
- Pizza sauce
- Sliced fresh Mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Sauteed onions
- Sauteed peppers
- Sliced ham
- Crumbled sausage
- Sliced pepperoni
- Turn your grill on to preheat. Create a high temperature section and a lower temperature section so you can cook your crust and then prepare it without changing the temperature.
- Prepare the dough into 8 or 10-inch crusts and lightly oil the surface. Once dough is in desired shape and oiled, place it directly on the grill on the hot section of the grill. With tongs flip the crust after 3-5 minutes once bottom is lightly brown. Place the dough on the cooler section of the grill.
- Add your warmed toppings of your choose to the crust. Move dough back to the hot side of the grill until cheese is melted, toppings are hot and crust is brown. Approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and more toppings. Serve pizzas hot and enjoy!