Back in March I was able to get away for a girls weekend with my college roommates of two years. We have tried to do this trip every year but it had been awhile since we met up just us four. We pick a spot kind of central to all of us and rent a cabin or house and make very little plans! We bring lots of wine and just enjoy the time together catching up and exploring.
We visited the small town we were staying in on Saturday and found a cute cafe that served grilled cheese sandwiches where you could add toppings like bacon, onions and peppers. The sandwiches came with tomato basil soup! I came home and immediately made my husband the grilled cheese and a creamy version of the soup because it was just so good! I no longer buy the canned tomato soup as this is so easy to whip up. The other problem we now have is that I also cannot eat a grilled cheese without bacon, roasted red peppers or grilled onions. If you haven’t tried it please do! But I warn you may never go back! My favorite combo on the grilled cheese is bacon, roasted red peppers and cheddar cheese with the creamy tomato basil soup too.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes (or diced if you would like chunkier)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, fresh basil and sugar.
- Cook for 1 minute or until heated through (do not boil).