This Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a favorite side dish in our home! I often add cauliflower if I have some in the fridge. This cheese rich dish is a great feature for June is Dairy Month and the Ritz crackers and butter on top add a great crunch and buttery flavor.
When preparing for my month of June is Dairy Month recipes, I emailed some friends for more recipes and a similar recipe to this showed up in my inbox from my friend Emily. I guess we aren’t the only family that loves this dish!
- 2 10 oz. pkgs. of frozen broccoli or use 1½ to 2 heads of fresh broccoli
- ½ tsp. garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 oz. cream cream, softened
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, crushed
- Blanche broccoli until al dente and drain well. Add garlic to broccoli and place in a greased 1 quart casserole dish.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter over low heat and add flour, stir until smooth. Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, stir until mixture thickens.
- Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese and melt.
- Pour cheese mixture over broccoli to cover and gently stir.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter and stir in crushed Ritz crackers. Top broccoli and cheese with cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 mins.