I was looking for a good brunch item for Father’s Day and I decided to try this after seeing recipes like this for so long.
I switched it up a bit and made this breakfast meal in one skillet that we all loved. Including the baby as he tried eggs for the first time.
You could use frozen hash browns to speed this up some.
- 5 potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 2 bell pepper, diced (any color will do, I like to use red or yellow)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Vegetable Oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, but still firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook until evenly brown and crispy. Cut into small chunks and set aside.
- Add potatoes to bacon grease or use vegetable oil (I had cooked my bacon in the oven so I used 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil) in the skillet and cook on medium heat until browned. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Add in the bell peppers, onion and mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Stir in bacon and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover mixture with shredded cheese and allow the cheese to melt.
- Turn skillet to low heat and make four holes for your eggs. Place eggs in the holes and cook your eggs to your favorite style. (I did sunnyside up.)