As a farm kid myself and a girl at that, I feel like there are a few things I hope to teach my daughter. This week was not only International Women’s Day but today is our little girls very own 18 month birthday! I know that birthday means nothing expect that she is getting older and I have to work harder each day to support her and build her confidence already!
- You can be whoever you want to be. A farmer, a teacher, a vet or even a cat hoarder. As long as you are happy that’s the only thing we will ever care about.
- You don’t have to be male to be a farmer. Each and everyday your mother farms alongside of your father and I hope I am able to continue to do that forever. You will have people who doubt you, but like all the other women who farm out there you can too!
- I hope you learn to truly love and care for the cattle, chickens, cats, dogs and every other animal that calls our farm home, along with the land. I wish that you always respect and love agriculture as a whole and that you take a stand for agriculture like your father and I do.
- I hope you learn why we work so hard each day and that you too appreciate the long, tiring days. Even though our life may seem like more work than play, I hope we show you the joy in our days and how much we enjoy the hard work!
- We also hope that you always know that you alone as yourself will always be enough! Your mother has always had self doubts and I promise to strive to not pass that onto you. I hope you know that you alone are perfect and can do anything you set your mind to! You alone are truly enough! And to us you are our everything!